Deputy Commissioner of Police Miguel Segura has been served with a notice of intended prosecution, after he was involved in a head on collision at mile 71 on the George Price Highway, which resulted in the death of one person. According to Police reports, at around 5:35 on Saturday Morning, Miguel Segura was travelling alone in a grey Nisan Pathfinder, from the direction of San Ignacio to Benque Viejo, when he collided head on with a blue Toyota Corolla vehicle with green license plates heading in the opposite direction. Driving the vehicle at the time of the incident was 28 year old Yani Evan Cu, taxi operator of Kontiki Area, San Ignacio Town, and sitting on the passenger side was 54 year old Yolanda Consuelo Valencia, a vendor of Succotz village. As a result, Yani Cu sustained serious head and body injuries and was transported to the KHMH, where he is listed in a critical but stable condition. Yolanda Valencia suffered fatal head and body injuries, and as a result was transported to the San Ignacio Community Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival. At the scene of the accident, the Deputy Commissioner of Police could be seen lighting a cigarette, and though it is rumoured he was under the influence of alcohol during the time of the incident, that would be something for a blood test to determine. There was a press conference Monday evening, where the CEO of the Ministry of National Security, the Commissioner of Police, and the Head of CIB, Russell Blackett, were at the head table. The Commissioner says they are recommending Segura’s suspension pending investigation.
“I met with Deputy Commissioner Segura this morning and I outlined the course of action which I told him that I would have taken, and I thereafter briefed the Ministry and I have written to this ministry for honorary transmission to the Security Services Commission for the interdiction/suspension of Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr. Segura, from active police, duty pending the outcome of this investigation.
The postmortem, I know, on Ms. Yolanda is scheduled for today, and that postmortem is ongoing. I have not had any communication in terms if it has been concluded, and what is the results of the autopsy. I also directed the officer commanding Benque, who is investigating this matter, to ensure that he took the necessary specimens of blood to the National Forensic Lab today, and I know that he is there. The analysis is being done, but we have not yet received the result of that analysis.
Nonetheless, I felt that this incident is a tragic incident, and it required my taking this sort of firm action, simply because of the fact that people are concerned, and believe that we would not do a thorough investigation, because of the fact that it’s the Deputy Commissioner involved. I want to assure the family, I want to assure the nation, that the thorough complete investigation will be done, and whatever is the outcome, we will deal with it. I know that the investigator has already submitted some statements to the Acting Director of Public Prosecutions, and as soon as the Acting DPP gives us guidance or instructions, those guidance and instructions will be complied with.”
There were also rumours that the Deputy commissioner may not have been alone in the vehicle at the time of the accident. The CEO responded to those allegations.
“The statements that we took so far, and what our investigations have said to us so far, does not indicate that there was another person in that vehicle, at this time.
If you know of someone who has seen and knows of somebody else who was in that vehicle, please bring that to the Police, and let them look at that, because the case is still being under investigation, and things like those would be quite helpful to us.”