House burns due to unattended candle

A family of four has lost their home after a house fire on Friday night in Belize City.

On February 9 at about 7:00 p.m.,  the house at #3 Allenby Street, a wooden and concrete two storey house, was engulfed with flames after a lit candle was left in the bathroom of the house.

According to police reports, a 13-year-old was home alone, but later left to purchase some items leaving the candle unattended. The home did not have electricity and when the child returned from the store, she saw the house on fire. Her mother was at work at the time.

The fire department managed to save parts of the house by extinguishing the fire before it totally engulfed the house. The house and its contents were not insured and the cost of the damages is unknown at this time.

About the Author