Known Activist Mr. Moses Sulph Accused of Rape Returns To Court

vlcsnap-2014-02-07-23h32m51s75Moses Sulph, well known community activist, was recognized for his stance against issues concerning the Belize/Guatemala dispute, offshore drilling and many other social issues.

However in February of last year, serious allegations against Moses Sulph were made by a 26 year old woman.  When Sulph was arraigned in court early last year, he was  read a  single charge of rape.  He was granted bail and the case was adjourned.  Today, Moses Sulph was back in court.   Emanuel Pech files that report.

Reporter Emmanuel Pech

The ex president of Citizens Organized for Liberty Through Action (COLA), appeared before Shana Griffith today to answer to charges of rape.  back in February 2013, his reputation took a hit, when a female accused him of having sexual intercourse with her against her will.

According to the female, on February 12th, 2013, on a  Tuesday, Moses invited her to his home in Belmopan and that is when he raped her.  He was granted bail of $5,000.

Today, Moses appeared in the court for his preliminary inquiry.

vlcsnap-2014-02-07-21h41m26s0Mr. Moses Sulph- Accused of Rape

“Basically, we came to the court today.  It was my P.I., my preliminary inquiry where witness statement was turned over to the court.  I wish my matter will be…proceed in to the Supreme Court for trial.   I was charged for rape on last year’s February and now stand trial in the Supreme Court.

His prosecutor in his case is PA Lucio Shal; his next cousrt case is scheduled for June 17th, 2014, where he will be represented by Dickie Bradley.  Moses continues to plead “not guilty”.

Mr. Moses Sulph:  “It is a heinous accusation to be accused of and even though I am on bail, I had to…got bail today again of $5,000.  Mr. Nigel Petillo came and signed along with myself.   Even though I am on bail, I am still a bird and still you feel like you are in prison because in my circumstances, I believe that if people notice my track, that if I wasn’t an activist trying to voice of the poor, I don’t believe I would have been in this situation because it is not fairly hard for a gentleman of my status of intelligence, and laying ward to be able to court a young lady”.

Reporter Emmanuel Pech:  “You said that your main position was the relationship with the woman was indeed consensual.  Is that still the basis where your case stands?” 

vlcsnap-2014-02-07-21h25m20s102Mr. Moses Sulph:  “The truth will always be the truth, brother.  Yes, I did not deny that I…I told the police that I had consensual action with the young lady and that is the truth; I don’t deny that at all, but did not know up to what point I committed on what I was accused of”.

For Plus News, Emmanuel Pech.

Prior to this case of rape, back in 2011, Moses was charged for harm upon a female.  However, that case was dropped.

About the Author