Man found dead on D&E bus

vlcsnap-2013-10-01-08h09m39s146vlcsnap-2013-10-01-08h09m31s50Police are investigating the circumstances which led to the sudden death of a D&E bus passenger over the weekend. Shortly after 7 on Saturday night, 57 year old Otto Espat was found lying motionless on the floor between the two back seats of the bus. The bus had only left from Belmopan about half an hour before the discovery was made. PlusTV’s Kent Pandy spoke with Deputy Commander of San Ignacio, Inspector Reymundo Reyes on Monday.



Inspector Reymundo Reyes – Deputy Commander of San Ignacio

vlcsnap-2013-10-01-08h14m59s0“San Ignacio police was called.   As a result, they visited the Welcome Center area where the buses are usually parked.   Inside the D & E Bus which travels from Belmopan to San Ignacio, they saw the motionless body of a male person lying between the two last seats of the bus.  Checks were made. No vital signs, no sort of injury observed on the person.   His name was learnt to be Mr. Otto Espat, 57 years old of  Fawa Street, San Ignacio.   At this moment, we are contemplated if a post mortem will be conducted on the body, we no see no foul play, but at the same time, the person appears that h e does not have a medical history as to where he was visiting any physician or whatever”.


Otto Espat boarded the bus in Belmopan and it was when they arrived in San Ignacio that the conductor stumbled upon his body, presumably already deceased. And even though Police investigation is still in an early stage, they believe strongly that foul play was not involved. Inspector Reyes explained.

Inspector Reymundo Reyes

“It was when the bus arrived here is San Ignacio when the conductor made checks and he saw that this person was in between the two seats and not moving.   So, as a result, they called the police.   According to our information, it was…he attempted to collect from but he never saw no response from the person.   So, it appears that when he boarded the bus from Belmopan, it appeared that the person was under the influence of alcohol;  so, they believed that the person was sleeping.   But when he arrived here at the terminal, that is when he made physical checks on the person, and he’s got no response.   Then, the police was called.   We do have… statements have been recorded from these people as to what they witnessed, what they saw whilst in the bus, but it was something that suddenly they just saw the person collapse between the two seats”.

The body of Otto Espat we are told, now awaits a post mortem examination.

About the Author