Thatched house accidently catches fire

A wooden thatched house in Bella Vista Village went up in flames yesterday morning. But it’s seems that the cause of the fire was accidental, as an empty lot two blocks away, adjacent to the house, was being cleaned and so bushes on the property were being burned. It is believed that heavy winds blew fire embers which landed on the dry thatch and set it on fire. The caretaker was not there at the time and the home, measuring about 20 x 20 feet was completely destroyed. The owner of the home, a Belize farmer of San Pablo Village reported the total loss at over $13,000.00. Police continue to investigate.

Meanwhile, not too far from Bella Vista Village, a home in Punta Gorda Town was reportedly burglarized and the thieves made off with a whopping amount of cash. The owner of the house, a Belizean Rural Development Officer, told Police that last week Wednesday between 8:30pm and 12:00am, his house was broken into. Stolen was a grey cash pan that contained $21,000.00 that was located inside a drawer in his bedroom. The money was the proceeds of the Romaine Virgo concert which was held on March 30th.

About the Author