U-20 footballers lose two games so far

vlcsnap-2014-07-23-08h27m24s214vlcsnap-2014-07-23-08h28m29s151It has been a long and dreary week for the Belize Under 20 selection which has suffered defeat after defeat at the U-20 UNCAF Qualifiers which is being held in Cuscantlan Stadium in San Salvador. As we told you on Monday night, since Friday the Belize team has played two games. In the game against El Salvador, Belize took 6 goals and scored none. In the game played yesterday against Nicaragua the team lost again in a 4 to nill ball game. On Wednesday Belize plays Panama. In a previous interview with Ruperto Vicente, president of the Football Federation of Belize, he commented that Belize will no longer just be participating at the international tournaments but will be competing. So what is happening with this selection? Ruperto Vicente believes that though they are not performing well at this present moment, he is confident that in the future these same players will be a force to reckon with.

vlcsnap-2014-07-23-08h32m37s70Ruperto Vincente – FFB President

“We’re not satisfied with the performance, but at the same time we’re exposing them, and having them gain the experience for the future. We’re still gaining some experience when it comes to our youth teams. When it comes to the U15, U17, and U20 teams, we’re still gaining experience.  Before this was not happening in Belize.  We’re now exposing our young players.  We’re preparing the U15 female football team to travel to Cayman on the forth of August, to compete with the other CONCACAF countries.  Yes, we’re competing at youth level, but at the senior level I’ve always said to our senior players, that we’re not only going to compete, we’re going to go out to play and win.  These young players that are getting 6-nil, 4-nil, will become a force to reckon with in the future.”

The selection rested on Tuesday, and will be playing against Panama on Wednesday.

About the Author